Monday, January 12, 2009

Favorite Gadget Series - 3

It's time for another "Oldmarrieds favorite kitchen gadgets!" Ok, really, it's just time a for a new post!

Today's gadget is a mighty fine tool called a garlic press.


Mmmmmmm, fresh garlic

I can't quite remember where I first saw a garlic press used, most likely on a Food Network show, but I knew I had to have one. It may be considered a "uni-tasker" by the great Alton Brown, but man, it really saves me time in the kitchen.

Almost any time a recipe calls for "minced garlic" I pull out my handy garlic press. Simply pluck out a garlic clove from the garlic bulb, lightly smash with the side of knife to remove the paper skin and then plop into the press and viola! Minced garlic! Side note - be sure to press your garlic over the cooking vessel you prefer as you want all the tasty garlic juices to be in your cooking, not lost on a cutting board.

We bought our press at Ikea for the amazing price of $2.99. Sadly, you must pick up your own in store as they are not available for purchase online (hey, you just need to go to Ikea any way, it rocks! NC residents - Ikea Charlotte opens on February 18th at 9am, I'm not counting the hours or anything...). I would honestly have a hard time paying the $15+ I've seen them for at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Is it wrong that I resent Alton Brown? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his show and his scientific approach to things---but the man obviously doesn't do his own dishes when he cooks. Also, GO IKEA! So glad one has finally opened in NC---now if they would just come to their senses and open one in RDU...