Monday, December 10, 2007

Ultimate Double Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

For my first cookie exchange I made a double chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. I wasn't brave enough to try something really new, so I stuck with a Southern Living recipe that hasn't failed me yet!


Prep: 30 min., Bake: 14 min. per batch
Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 package milk chocolate morsels

Preparation
Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until blended.

Combine flour, soda, oats, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl; gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in morsels and raisins. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.

Bake at 350° for 8 to 14 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield
Makes about 5 dozen
Credits: Susan Hefilfinger, Mandeville, Louisiana , Southern Living, APRIL 2005



Notes:
Use dark brown sugar to give the cookies a richer taste
Use brand name, higher quality chocolate chips (my favorite is Guittard)
And finally use salted butter for a melt-in-your-mouth flavor

I also recommend using parchment paper to line your baking sheets for quick removal and cleanup. Also, I am in love with my little scoop to perfectly measure and dispense each morsel of cookie dough (dip in water periodically to keep the batter from sticking).



If you just want the ultimate chocolate chip cookie (without oatmeal) make this change:
Delete the quick cooking oats and use 2 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour

1 comment:

Becky said...

Yum!!! I love cookies, and those look awesome!